Agriculture in the Upper Arkansas Valley is an important component of our local economy. Historically known as the “Iceberg Lettuce Capital of the United States,” agriculture in Chaffee County has become much more diverse.
An introduction to the Colorado Beekeeper Mentorship Program is available in this video:
- Upcoming Beekeeping class is September 21-22, 2018. More information is available on this flyer
Additional information is available by calling (719) 539-6447.
Livestock Production Resources
- Range Management Resources
- Poisonous Plants Database
- Animal Diseases
- Veterinary Extension
- Healthy living with Goats
- Sheep: Evaluation of Grass Clippings as a feed resource Video and Article
- Severe Cold Rangeland and Livestock Considerations
- Livestock Mortality Considerations
- Markets and Weather
- COAGMET Stations (automated weather stations)
Agronomy and Vegetable Production Resources
General Agriculture Resources
- Colorado Building Farmers program
- Colorado Environmental Pesticide Education Program
- Drought Resources
- Food System and Ag Policy Resources
- Local Food System Monthly Newsletter
- Insect Information
- Chaffee County Right to Ranch
Agricultural Business Resources
- Wondering what regulations may be involved in growing and selling a certain crop? Navigate to the Colorado Farm to Market website.
- Agriculture and Business Management website has information on leasing, custom crop rates, farmers market pricing survey data, enterprise budgeting information, and many other valuable business information.
- University of Minnesota has some valuable resources for agriculture businesses, including the AgPlan online business planning tool, and a self-assessment tool for organic farmers. Navigate to their website for more information.